How Does Tbi Affect Mental Health
Almost without exception, TBI patients experience an impact on emotional regulation and mental health. The following symptoms and conditions occur in TBI patients:
- Flat affect or display of little emotion
- Lack of empathy
- Difficulty with social interactions
Sometimes patients have struggled in the past, but the brain injury intensifies symptoms. In other instances, the condition emerges after the injury.
Mental health can be frustrating for both the patient and the family. It may also affect other treatment areas such as TBI speech therapy activities and vocational training if not managed. With CBT, patients can address mental health, so they can also be successful throughout rehabilitation.
How Can I Prevent A Traumatic Brain Injury
Many TBIs arent preventable. They happen without warning due to an accident or fall. But you can take these steps to avoid some incidents that commonly cause TBIs:
- Monitor medicines: Ask your doctor or pharmacist to review your prescription and over-the-counter medications, including supplements. Be sure you know which ones might make you dizzy, sleepy and more prone to falls. You may be able to change medications.
- Have clear vision: Get regular eye exams so you can see well enough to prevent falls and injuries. Arrange good lighting at home to light the way.
- Fall-proof your home: Remove rugs that are tripping hazards. Install stair handrails and bathtub grab bars. And if you have young children, install window guards on high windows and safety gates on stairs. Be aware of toys and pets underfoot.
- Be smart behind the wheel: Buckle everyone up with seat belts, and use car seats or booster seats for children. Dont drive if youre drowsy or under the influence.
- Put on a helmet: Protect your head when you play sports like hockey or football or when you bike, skate, ski or snowboard. And wear a helmet when you ride a motorcycle, scooter, ATV or horse.
- Stay active: Activities like yoga, tai chi and strength training build muscle and improve balance.
- Use a walking assist device: Walkers and canes can help you be steadier on your feet.
Sports And Recreation Head Injury Prevention Tips
- For specific sports, 100 percent of the time, buy and use helmets or protective headgear approved by the American Society for Testing and Materials .
- Supervise younger children at all times.
- Do not allow younger children to use sporting equipment or play sports unsuitable for their age.
- Avoid the use of playgrounds with hard surfaces.
- Follow all rules and warning signs at water parks, swimming pools and public beaches.
- Do not dive in water less than 12 feet deep or in above-ground pools. Check the depth and check for debris in the water before diving.
- Wear appropriate clothing for the sport.
- Do not wear any clothing that can interfere with your vision.
- Do not participate in sports when you are ill or very tired.
- Obey all traffic signals, and be aware of drivers when cycling or skateboarding.
- Avoid uneven or unpaved surfaces when cycling, skateboarding or in-line skating.
- Perform regular safety checks of sports fields, playgrounds and equipment.
- Discard and replace damaged sporting equipment or protective gear
- Never slide head-first when stealing a base.
Also Check: Neck And Back Injury Settlement
What Are The Common Symptoms Following A Tbi
Symptoms that result from TBI are known as post-concussion syndrome . Few people will have all of the symptoms, but even one or two of the symptoms can be unpleasant. PCS makes it hard to work, get along at home, or relax. In the days, weeks, and months following a TBI the most common symptoms are:
- Feeling bothered by noise and light
- Poor judgment and acting without thinking
- Being slowed down
- Trouble putting thoughts into words
- Anger outbursts and quick to anger
- Personality changes
These symptoms are part of the normal process of getting better. They are not signs of lasting brain damage. These symptoms are to be expected and are not a cause for concern or worry. More serious symptoms include severe forms of those listed above, decreased response to standard treatments, and seizures.
Cell Viability And Lactate Dehydrogenase Assay
We ascertained cell viability by Cell Counting Kit-8 assay. In brief, cells was cultured in a 96-well plate, and incubated with the reagent at 37 °C for 2 h. Then, optical density values were measured at 450 nm by a Thermo Multiskan FC microplate photometer.
Cellular injury-induced cytotoxicity was measured by Cytotoxicity Detection Kit in line with the directions of the manufacturer.
Recommended Reading: New Treatments For Traumatic Brain Injury
What Are The Acute Signs Of A Traumatic Brain Injury
Sometimes its clear that someone has experienced a traumatic brain injury and needs to get to a hospital immediately. For example, if someone is bleeding and unconscious after a car accident or a fall from a ladder, we know to call emergency responders right away.
Very often, however, people are unsure. Depending on where you live and what medical coverage you have, visits to the emergency department are expensive people dont want to overreact. To make things even more confusing, sometimes a person seems fine right after an incident, but alarming symptoms develop over the next few hours or days.
While this list isnt exhaustive, here are some guidelines to determine if someone might have a concussion or a moderate to severe brain injury. If youre unsure about the severity of the injury, its best to get checked out by a medical professional.
- Trouble walking or problems with balance
- Weakness on one side of the body
- Slurring their speech
- Blood or a clear fluid draining from the ears or nose.
Unfortunately, the damaging effects of a brain injury on a child might not be evident until later in life, so its important to get a possible injury checked out and treated by a health care provider if theres any question.
Traumatic Brain Injury And Ptsd
Traumatic brain injury occurs from a sudden blow or jolt to the head. Brain injury often results from a trauma, like an accident, blast or fall. Learn about the overlap in PTSD and TBI symptoms and how to cope.
Reading time: minutes
TBI occurs from a sudden blow or jolt to the head. Brain injury often occurs during some type of trauma, such as an accident, blast, or a fall. Often when people refer to TBI, they are mistakenly talking about the symptoms that occur following a TBI. Actually, a TBI is the injury, not the symptoms.
You May Like: New York Personal Injury Attorneys
Emotional Problems After Traumatic Brain Injury
A range of mental health and emotional issues can affect those who have suffered a TBI. Anxiety and depression are common. Personality changes, mood swings, and difficulty controlling impulses can also be an issue.
The challenges associated with life after a TBI and the emotional and personality changes that sometimes go along with it can also contribute to relationship difficulties. Sometimes patients dont feel like themselves anymore, and their partners can feel like they are involved with a completely different person.
The injury can cause roles in a partnership to change. A study by Virginia Commonwealth University investigated divorce rates following TBI and identified some important potential factors in separation and divorce. Some of the findings were not definitive however, they did find that older people and those who had been married longer before the injury were less likely to divorce.
Another condition related to TBI worth mentioning is that sometimes an event that causes a TBI can also cause post-traumatic stress disorder. Common causes of PTSD are motor vehicle accidents, violent assault, and combat injuries, all of which are also common causes of TBI. It is possible to have both and need medical care for both.
Patients with behavioral changes and psychiatric disorders benefit from additional emotional support, patience, and encouragement as they pursue recovery.
General Head Injury Prevention Tips
- Wear a seatbelt every time you drive or ride in a motor vehicle.
- Never drive while under the influence of drugs, alcohol or ride as a passenger with anyone who is under the influence.
- Keep firearms unloaded in a locked cabinet or safe, and store ammunition in a separate, secure location.
- Remove hazards in the home that may contribute to falls. Secure rugs and loose electrical cords, put away toys, use safety gates and install window guards. Install grab bars and handrails if you are frail or elderly.
Determination Of Malondialdehyde Gsh And Gssh Level
The MDA, GSH and GSSH level was measured with the Lipid Peroxidation MDA Assay Kit and GSH and GSSG Assay Kit . After the different treatment described above, the cells were washed with PBS and were lysed subsequently. The lysates were centrifuged at 12,000 rpm for 10 min at 4 . Then, the supernatant was collected and the absorbance at 532 nm was measured by a microplate reader . Finally, the datum was normalized by the protein concentration in each sample.
Where Can I Find Inpatient Neuro Rehab Near Me
NeuLife is an inpatient neuro rehab for TBI patients in Florida. We help patients recover from traumatic brain injury, stroke, brain tumors, spinal injuries, and other neurological diseases that may require rehabilitation.
Our facility successfully helps patients through structured programming, including speech, physical therapy, medical care, skills development, nutrition and exercise, and mental health therapies, including CBT.
Contact us at 800.626.3876 to get your questions answered or make a referral.
Don’t Miss: Personal Injury Lawyers In Fort Lauderdale
What Should You Look For When Choosing A Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program
There are many options out there that claim to offer the best treatment and rehabilitation care following a brain injury. Many of these rehab hospitals or independent facilities offer similar services, therapies and specialists, which makes it difficult to choose between them. Here are a few questions to consider:
- Does the facility offer a specialized Brain Injury Rehabilitation program?
- Is the facility accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehab Facilities ?
- Does the facility offer multidisciplinary therapy services provided by full-time staff?
- Does the facility offer rehabilitation therapy services seven days a week?
- Does the facility offer patient and family education and groups that are specific to traumatic brain injury?
If the rehab facility you are considering is TIRR Memorial Hermann, the answer to all of these questions is yes. However, if you are still unable to make a decision, refer to this larger list of questions to ask when choosing a rehabilitation program.
Considerations For Bilingual And Multilingual Speakers
Cognitive control deficits have a unique impact on the linguistic abilities in bilingual and multilingual speakers , especially in individuals with frontal lobe and subcortical lesions . The individual’s premorbid proficiency in the languages they speak can influence their ability to maintain the target language.
In addition to language production errors found in monolingual speakers, bilingual and multilingual individuals with acquired brain injury may also demonstrate
- language-switching errors
- semantic/phonological paraphasias produced in the nontarget language and
- translation errors.
Speech-language pathologists consider variations in narrative structures secondary to cultural and linguistic factors to ensure that a communication difference is not inaccurately diagnosed as a disorder.
The CDC identified the following leading causes:
- Falls and motor vehicle crashes were reported to be the first and second leading causes of all TBI-related hospitalizations .
- Falls accounted for almost half of all TBI-related emergency department visits and 81% of TBI-related emergency department visits by persons aged 65 and older.
- Collision-related events accounted for about 17% of all TBI-related emergency department visits in the United States in 2014.
- Intentional self-harm was the leading cause of TBI-related deaths in 2014.
Don’t Miss: Slip And Fall Knee Injury Settlement
What Problems Could Come Up During Your Recovery
Long after the brain injury, you may still feel mental and physical effects , or new symptoms may develop.
If you find that you are feeling sad or blue or aren’t enjoying the activities or hobbies that you enjoyed in the past, talk to your doctor about these feelings. You may have depression, which is common with chronic pain and other symptoms of a brain injury.
Where to get help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
If you or someone you know talks about suicide, self-harm, a mental health crisis, a substance use crisis, or any other kind of emotional distress, get help right away. You can:
- Call the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline at 988.
- Call 1-800-273-TALK .
- Text HOME to 741741 to access the Crisis Text Line.
Consider saving these numbers in your phone.
Cell Transfection And In Vitro Injury Model
The siRNA targeting HO-1 was purchased from GenePharma , and the sequences of siRNAs were as follows: sense: sense: 5-CCACACAGCACUAUGUAAATT-3, antisense: 5-UUUACAUAGUGCUGUGUGGTT-3 sense: 5-CUCGAAUGAACACUCUGGATT-3, antisense: 5-UCCAGAGUGUUCAUUCGAGTT-3 sense: 5-CUGCUCAACAUUGAGCUGUTT-3, antisense: 5-ACAGCUCAAUGUUGAGCAGTT-3. At 6 h after transfection, the medium was changed to DMEM with 10% fetal bovine serum. Then, 24 h later, the primary microglia were treated with 100 m glutamate to induce cellular injury for 24 h according to the study protocol.
Don’t Miss: St Petersburg Personal Injury Attorneys
Animals And Experimental Design
The Laboratory Animal Center of Nanjing Medical University provides adult male C57BL/6J mice . All animals were kept in an SPF condition with regulated temperature , a light and dark cycle of 12:12 h and received standard laboratory animal food and water. The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee of Nanjing Medical University approved all research protocols and animal experiments in accordance with the guidelines of the Animal Care and Use Committee .
Six separated experiments were performed as follows.
To understand the changes of proteins content in brain after CCI. 32 C57BL/6J mice were randomly divided into three groups: sham , 6 h , 24 h after CCI induction. We collected the cerebral cortex around the lesion at 6 h or 24 h after CCI and then we identify global differences in protein expression between CCI and sham mouse groups by proteomic analysis .
To determine the endogenous Fetuin-A at each time point after CCI, 30 C57BL/6J mice were randomly divided into five groups: 0 , 6 h, 12 h, 24 h, 72 h after CCI induction. The mice were all killed at the scheduled time point and the brain tissue was collected for western blot analysis and immunofluorescence assays to measure Fetuin-A expression .
Acquired Brain Injury: Understanding The Causes Symptoms And Treatments
Written by the editorial team at Flint Rehab
An acquired brain injury may occur after birth for a variety of reasons, including stroke, TBI, or infectious disease. Depending on the severity and location of the acquired brain injury, individuals may experience physical, cognitive, and/or emotional effects.
Fortunately, many effects can be improved with a combination of different treatments, such as therapy and medication. Therapists and physicians can guide individuals through the rehabilitation process and identify treatments that are safe and effective for their specific needs.
This article will discuss the causes of acquired brain injury, its symptoms, and potential treatments to help promote recovery.
Use the jump links below to help you navigate through the article:
Don’t Miss: Accidental Injury Insurance Worth It
Why Is Treatment Important
Traumatic brain injury is the leading cause of disability in people under age 40. Studies have shown that the majority of recovery from TBI occurs within two years of the injury. Thats why it is important to make the most of your time in the appropriate rehabilitation program. Through our Brain Injury Rehabilitation program, we have seen patients make great strides by helping them and their families see that it is possible to live full, active lives after traumatic brain injury.
We inspire our patients to set big goals not just I want to walk again, but I want to walk my daughter down the aisle at her wedding in six months. At TIRR Memorial Hermann, our team is dedicated to providing any and all treatment necessary so our patients can reach their lofty goals.
Imaging For Tbi Diagnosis
The two most common types of imaging tests used to diagnose a brain injury are magnetic resonance imaging and computerized tomography . If severe injuries are not suspected, its often best to wait on neuroimaging to see how the patient progresses.
An MRI uses magnets and radio waves to look at soft tissue within the brain and the body. It is best used for detecting bruises , blood clots , minor bleeding, tumors, excessive fluid, or even signs of dementia in the brain. It is not the best scan to start with immediately after a severe head injury. It might be done after the patient is more stable.
A CT scan uses X-ray beams and, if performed after a head injury, can detect bleeding , brain swelling, and skull fractures. In an emergency situation, a CT scan is most commonly ordered to determine if a patient needs to be watched or if emergency neurosurgery is necessary.
Neither a standard MRI nor a CT scan can detect a concussion because they only detect structural problems within the brain. A concussion does not cause this type of problem. As we discussed earlier, a concussion damages the neurovascular coupling system within the brain. This type of dysfunction can be seen with functional MRI , which shows how blood flows through the brain in real-time.
Also Check: How Do Personal Injury Lawyers Get Paid
Medication Improved Claus Quality Of Life
To manage her ADHD symptoms, Clau received a prescription for methylphenidate, a generic stimulant more commonly known as Ritalin or Concerta. Clau also meets with a nutritional therapist to help her create and maintain a healthy diet since certain foods are known to agitate brain inflammation.8
Since starting her treatment regimen, Clau is happy to report:
The world doesn’t hurt as much as before. Itâs like the overwhelm is a bit more manageable.